Isuzu Motors South Africa enhances the range of Isuzu extra-heavy gross vehicle mass (GVM) models from 16,5-ton all the way to 35-ton GVM with the launch of the Isuzu FY-Series 8 X 4 models into the South African market. Long-haul rigs operating at 56-ton gross combination mass dominated the extra-heavy truck market. However, there are a wide range of applications for specific payloads – freight carriers with mobile cranes, truck tractors, concrete mixers, tippers and compactors.
It is not only an 8 X 4 driveline that enhances Isuzu’s extra-heavy offering, it is both efficient and cost-effective applications that allow for maximum payload on a solo GVM truck. This means a legal 33-ton GVM tipper and concrete mixer plus a 35-ton GVM compactor also with manual and fully automatic transmissions.
GCM Increases Isuzu Extra-heavy Productivity
“A useful gross combination mass (GCM) is a hallmark feature of the entire Isuzu FX, GX and FY-Series ranges,” says Dominic Rimmer, Executive Technical Services, Isuzu Motors South Africa. “For example, the FXR-17,360 freighter has a GVM of 16,500kg and a GCM of 36,000kg – it easily handles an 18-ton GVM two-axle trailer making the Isuzu 17,360 a favourite in the agricultural sector.”
The FX and FY range above the 17,360 are rated for 45,000kg GCM, except for the 26,360 mixer and tipper at 43,500kg GVM. Trailer capacity allows for flexibility in seasonal demand operations and increases ton.km productivity while reducing cents/ton.km costs.
Matching a Demand for Urban Solid Waste Transport
A new model for South Africa’s solid waste industry is Isuzu’s FYH 35-360 equipped in 8 X 4 configuration with the following special features
- A legal 35-ton GVM municipal operation at 15-ton on the front twin-steer axles and 10,2-ton on each of the two rear drive axles (Regulation 240)
- An Allison transmission with full-torque gearbox-driven power-take-off – this means the compactor hydraulics can be operated while the vehicle is on the move
- Capability to handle a 23-cubic metre refuse (cm3) body. This massive volume also enhances productivity when calculating the daily cm3 volumes of refuse to be moved.
Effectively stopping a loaded truck is dependent on integrated braking system controls. Isuzu FX & FY-Series are equipped with
- Full-air, independently operated dual-circuit braking systems – should one circuit fail the other still operates to stop the vehicle.
- A standard exhaust brake across the range – by shutting off the engine fuel supply and inserting a valve into the exhaust system, extra retardation is developed in the driveline without touching the footbrakes for maximum braking efficiency.
- The Isuzu FX & FY models are also available with Allison transmission and include an optional transmission with hydraulic intarder. The GX 4 X 2 and 6 X 4 truck tractor models – included in the extra-heavy FX range – incorporate a standard Telma electro-magnetic retarder for extra braking capacity at 40-ton and 45-ton gross combination mass (GCM) respectively.
- ABS – Anti-lock Braking Systems prevent wheel lock-up under emergency braking conditions.
Every Isuzu cab is designed with floor stiffener sections to minimise deformation in the event of frontal collision. The cab tilt mechanism incorporates three lock-down systems against accidental tilt.
- Isofix mounted seatbelts are standard across all Isuzu trucks.
- All Isuzu truck models from the FVR 900 upwards are equipped with standard air-conditioning and power windows.
Ideal engine capacity for urban & regional ops
The entire Isuzu FX – GX – FY range is equipped with a 9,839 litre, 6-in-line, turbo-intercooled, common-rail diesel engine. This engine develops 265kW (362hp) at 2,000rpm and 1,422 Nm torque at 1,400rpm.
- Turbo-intercooling results in no power or torque losses at any altitude – performance is constant at the coast or at Witwatersrand 1500m urban altitudes.
- A hallmark of Isuzu powertrain design is fuel economy. Maximum torque at low rpm allows drivers to minimise gear changes and reduce fuel usage. All Isuzu drive axles employ a low-friction, single reduction, hypoid design to return optimum fuel consumption.
“In 2018 Isuzu became the highest volume selling truck brand in South Africa, says Craig Uren, Executive Officer, Sales, Services and Marketing. “Additionally, we have occupied the number one position in the medium-and heavy-duty commercial vehicle segment of the South African market for six years in a row.”
All Isuzu Trucks come standard with 2-year/unlimited km warranty with many Isuzu trucks covering as much as 200,000km in the warranty period and with only 10 service days off the road.
Isuzu Trucks enjoy a big existing brand population that makes all 37 Isuzu truck dealers viable in terms of parts and service. “The current success and volumes of N, F and FX-Series is enhancing parts and service support, an essential component of sustainability in the truck market,’ says Uren.
FX-Series Model range:
These prices are only an indication at time of writing and are subject to change without prior notice:
|NEW MODEL DESCRIPTION||Retail (excl VAT)||Retail (excl VAT)|
|FXR 17-360||R917 700,00||R1 055 355,00|
|FXZ 26-360||R1 173 400,00||R1 349 410,00|
|FXZ 26-360 AUTO||R1 377 400,00||R1 584 010,00|
|FXZ 26-360 TIPPER||R1 169 600,00||R1 345 040,00|
|FXZ 26-360 MIXER||R1 188 550,00||R1 366 832,50|
|FXZ 28-360 COMPACTOR||R1 295 950,00||R1 490 342,50|
|FXZ 28-360 COMPACTOR AUTO||R1 731 450,00||R1 991 167,50|
|FYH 33-360 TIPPER||R1 224 000,00||R1 407 600,00|
|FYH 33-360 TIPPER AUTO||R1 428 000,00||R1 642 200,00|
|FYH 33-360 MIXER||R1 275 000,00||R1 466 250,00|
|FYH 33-360 MIXER AUTO||R1 479 000,00||R1 700 850,00|
|GXR 35-360||R1 047 000,00||R1 204 050,00|
|GXR 35-360 AUTO||R1 251 000,00||R1 438 650,00|
|GXR 40-360||R1 108 500,00||R1 274 775,00|
|GXZ 45-360||R1 364 250,00||R1 568 887,50|
|GXZ 45-360 AUTO||R1 683 000,00||R1 935 450,00|